Monday, November 19, 2007

Day 13: THANKSGIVING COMES FIRST!

Alright, time to do it, and Thanksgiving is a few days away. This is a post inspired by Suldog.

So, a few months ago there were already Christmas decorations in the stores. They started small, with pretty red bows on various things that had no need for them, and soon Santa was inside the store, when outside the weather could still be described as... warm. I'm sorry, when I think of Santa, I think of snow days and blustery winds and the like... it makes me feel like I had stepped into one of those Christmas-all-year-round stores. And, in my opinion, it's sad. I really enjoy Thanksgiving, from the colors: browns and oranges and reds, to the turkeys you make when you trace your hand on a piece of construction paper. you know, and then you color each finger a different color and give your thumb a beak, eyes, and a gobbler (that little red thing hanging off Mr. Turkey's chin)? :)

Fall is one of my favorite seasons as well. I love winter and snow, but hate to shovel. (Who doesn't?) If I see Santa in the store, I walk out thinking about long hours of "lift from the knees" while shoveling of snow, basically moving water from one place to the other. And no matter how fast I shovel, in the morning the snow plow has still left a mound of snow for me to dig through. And don't you worry, over night that cute little mound has frozen, so now I have this little mount everest for my car to attempt to climb. Makes me wish I had a Hummer, not a Subaru.

Regardless, I HATE that they skip over one of my favorite seasons. It's terrible and I won't stand for it! Alright so, what can I really do about it? Well, Suldog says:


OK, here's my list of offenders, thus far. I will be boycotting these places and things. I hope that, in addition to posting, you'll make a list of your own. I'll boycott yours, if you'll boycott mine.

TARGET
MACY'S
LOWE'S


All three have had Christmas advertisements running on television. I will never shop at any of these stores again, until I either get a guarantee from them that they will forego holiday advertisements until at least the week of Thanksgiving - I'm not insensitive to the need to advertise their big sales for the Friday after Thanksgiving - OR next November rolls around and I do not see advertisements, by them, touting Christmas in early November.


So, you can certainly do that if the passion is within you! I think I can live without those stores, maybe you can, too, or you can think of your own. Our hope, that is, all of us who have responded to Suldog's call to arms, is that we can persuade stores that early advertising does not garner more sales, and is not worth doing so early...

I have more to say but it will be saved for a later post. PLEASE GO CHECK OUT SULDOG'S ORIGINAL POST! :) Please? It's really worth it.

No comments:

Music